Another sketch for weekly practice. I'm having trouble with the horse, somebody could give me some helpful feedback (you know who you are). The horse and rider are actually from a painting I had a dream about, that I didn't paint in my dream. There was another horse and rider in the opposite position, kind of yin and yang. Weird. Hopefully my subconscious isn't ripping somebody else off.
ONE LOVELY DRAWING, part 80
-
July 27 is the tenth anniversary of the death of gifted cartoonist Richard
Thompson. His tragic death at age of 58 was a great loss to the field of
illu...
2 hours ago


2 comments:
Aside from the fact that the horse seems to be missing some nasal passages, I think it looks pretty good. The left shoulder is a little high and wide, but not much. You're thinking 'dog' here, it's very much like dog's build. A horses shoulder would be a bit closer to the rider, and lower. The other thing I would suggest is that when a horse is reacting like that, their weight is in their back legs, so they can turn tail and run on a dime.
Here he seems to be tilting towards the giant, where a horse would sorta splay it's back legs out a tad and then lurch forward in whichever direction it wanted to flee in.
On the other hand, this horse is a burly knight's horse, and he could just be thinking, "Meh. Another Giant. Ho hum. Guess I'll charge him and then get some barley."
That's exactly what's going through the horses head, "mmmmm, barley". Thanks for the tips on anatomy, struggling to implement them now :P
Post a Comment